DMV Awards Fight Was the Act of “Niggers”, Not of Artists

Posted in Featured on 03/06/11

In 1991, I fell in love with hip-hop.

In 1997, I fell in love with DC area hip-hop.

I fell in love with the fact that there were artists in my own backyard that were just as talented as the majors I saw on The Box video channel all day. I fell in love with the few DC area rap artists that made it to The Box, such as Black Indian, Section 8 Mob, Earthquake, and many more.

I fell in love with seeing posters all over the city from groups like Hood Life Money, 2 Face the Don, and Nitti & Gotti.

I fell in love with grabbing the Washington City Paper and learning about events such as Freestyle Union or shows at the State of the Union, and seeing ads from producers such as Judah advertising their beats in the Music section for free.

I fell in love with the overall artistic expression of our local hip-hop scene.

Last night at the DMV Awards, I became a lover scorned.

To see the fights break out last night hurt my heart. Hurt my soul. Just….hurt. To look down from the stage and see what was taking place was surreal. Never in my nearly 14 years of attending events in this area have I ever seen such an act of “niggerdom” take place.  I know my use of the word may be harsh to some, but the horrendous acts those ignorant individuals committed are even more harsh than any word I could ever use in the English language.

What hurts even more is that the view and thoughts by many that these artists have tainted the scene for the other artists. I’m here to say those acts last night was not that of artists…those were the acts of niggers. A true artist respects everything about their craft and values the recognition given to them. An artist does not act that way. A nigger does.

An artist respects another artist when performing on stage and gives them full attention.  A nigger doesn’t.

An artist gives love to another artist in their awards category, even if they lost to them. A nigger doesn’t.

An artist does what is needed to get their craft out to masses beyond this area so the world can see the positive their local music scene has to offer. A nigger doesn’t.

The act of an artist should not be confused with the act of a nigger, which is what the local media and even other artists on Twitter, Facebook, etc are doing. ARTISTS DID NOT MESS UP THE AWARDS LAST NIGHT! NIGGERS DID!

The act of an artist are people like Gods’Illa, who grinded for over a decade to get what they deserved and even created their own platform to be heard with their Up and Up Open Mic.

The act of an artist are people like Kokayi and Carolyn Malachi who received worldwide recognition with their Grammy nominations, but still came out to show love to the DMV Awards.

The act of an artist are people like The Supafunkregulata DJ Celo who has put his job on the line many times just to support the local music scene.

The act of an artist, are people like the countless female emcees in this area that balance music and motherhood, and still are able to dedicate to both 110%.

The act of an artist is that 13 year old girl I met at the awards Saturday night that rapped for me with no hesitation…and she was dope!! But it breaks my heart to know that little 13 year old girl’s first impression of the area music scene was having to see the acts of niggers, not of artists.

To all of my artists out there, don’t let this discourage you. Don’t let the media say that it is the artists fault that this incident happened.  Don’t’ let other artists say it’s the artists fault. DON’T LET ANYONE DISCREDIT YOUR CRAFT BECAUSE OF THE ACTS OF NIGGERS! Don’t give up on this music scene. As long as there are true artists, the scene can never die. If go-go can remain with all the trouble it’s scene has faced with violence, then the universal sounds of hip-hop can remain as well.

Use what happened as motivation. Use it to make you stronger. Use it to work harder on your lyrics. Use it to work harder on your stage performances. Use it to create more artistic videos. Use it to show the word that a group of niggers can NOT shut down the talent of a movement of true artists.

To Dre All Day In Da Paint, Natasha Brown, the staff of the awards, the participants, the nominees, the performers, the attendees, the Hyatt staff…to EVERYONE!! Your work was not in vain. OUR work was not in vain. The work of true art and creativity is NEVER in vain. Do not allow the negative actions of a few self-genocide, Willie Lynch, self-hating NIGGERS take away ANY and EVERY thing you have ever accomplished. As I stated on Twitter last night…We can’t let the negative actions of a few effect the positive work of many. Positive Energy Always Creates Elevation. And the true positive work of true positive artists will make sure that our local music scene continues to elevate. PEACE.

-DJ Heat

Related Posts with Thumbnails

45 Comments to “DMV Awards Fight Was the Act of “Niggers”, Not of Artists”

1. mo betta says:

I love you HEAT, its more than apparent by your words that your passionate about the area an its music movement. Im glad you took time to express your feelings.

2. Made me cry. Thank you for this…you motivate me to continue to press on with events like the record pool and SXSW. You motivate me to keep having faith. You motivate me to work even harder to get out of the area and help bring positive light BACK to the area. For being one of the most public figures in the city with so many accomplishments, you Ma’am, are by far the most real, humble, and supportive person. Others can take a lesson from you. I know I will. Thank you for your continued support as always,and for recognizing the seperation between the artists in the building last night…..and the “others”.
    Love,
    Harmony Muzik

3. Anonymous says:

Real talk

4. Eden says:

The article was beautifully written. Keep it up DJ HEAT

5. DJ Heat says:

Thank you, Harmony. Continue to do what you are doing with your music and events. You’ve accomplished more in a year than I have seen people accomplish in a decade. Continue with that hunger and that driving force.

6. Thank you for saying this, Heat. It was honest, genuine and, above all, necessary. I want more folks from our area to read this and realize that a situation like this has to unify us more than it divides us. Otherwise, the DMV “movement” won’t move very far beyond our borders.

7. Kingsolo44 says:

The finger pointing should be at the people who put on an event with 1500 people attending and to not have adequate security is a failure. 1500 guest at $35 each generated $50K+ should have budgeted for some off duty police officers, doubt Ninjas would have been acting up if the Boys were working security, I am just saying

8. anonymous 2 says:

Unfortunately though… i think people are trying to be politically correct. The use of the word ‘nigger’ in social media can condemn u. If a black person were to use that word in reference to another it would he perfectly acceptable. However if any other person of another race were to use it, they would be considered racist. So in order to not offend, what other choice words should people use? It saddens me that this unfortunate incident happened. If social media is using the word ‘artists’ to describe the people involved, yes… they are artists. Not all artists in this worlds history have been futh or sane. I dont condone what they did, but i dont condone the use of the word ‘nigger’ as it spreads hate no matter what race is using it.

9. anonymous 2 says:

Futh = cuth. Typing from phone. Sorry for misspelling.

10. MrRLW says:

Very well said. Unfortunately it only takes the act of one individual to completely sour the overall view of a people, by weak minded opposers (i.e. hip-hop critics and closet racists). I can only hope that the artists themselves do not allow such negativity to deter them from doing what they love. At the same time I hope, that not too much “light” is thrown on a single incident(s), thus overshadowing the good that exists in this areas independent music scene.

Having not attended the awards last night, and barely hearing bits and pieces of what happened at the event… I am very appreciative of your write up here.

11. Tonia "Msbossy says:

*Speechless… well put together! :-(:::::::

12. Educated Black Man says:

I agree with most of your comments; however, I just wanted to add a small comment. My personal opinion, and you don’t have to agree or disagree, but by utilizing the “N” word, you are contributing to the ignorance that plague the black community. I know you are upset and should be; the entire DMV is upset, I am too. I would only recommend that you choose better words to express your frustration.

Educated Black Man

13. Educated Black Man says:

Here are some suggestions: Thugs, Vagabons, Hoodlums…I can go on and on. Leave the “N” word out of it. Got luv for you bro. Stay real!

14. BISHOP TWAN says:

Despite what happen at the 2011 DMV AWARDS I had a great time .I was one of the nominees for best open mic (BISHOP TWAN).It didn’t matter to me who won my name was call. NO Love to the niggers lot of LOVE to the DMV artists. Thanks DJ Heat I won’t stop!

15. SE7EN says:

Well written HEAT… The DMV will never stop nor will we slow to a crawl.
    We must learn to walk unafraid,unafraid of change unafraid of showing love and respect,unafraid of shaking stereotypes, we must grow to a point of being fearless.
    because it will be your fear that keeps you here.

DMV STAND UP! AND STAND STRONG!

SE7EN

Singer for (THE VILLAINS 21)

16. DJ Heat says:

I hear you. I’m female, by the way.

17. “Positive Energy Always Creates Elevation.”… Indeed. Well done.

CM

18. Peace,

Infighting in the scene has always gone on. Back when the Kaffa House was jumping and the battles I used to be in at The State Of The Union or the Club Erico Mic Fights I used to participate and judge…the DC area has always had the crab in the barrel mentality. I’m sad to see it exists to this day. But back in the day, if you showed love, you get it back.

At the last DTLR Record Pool event, I was there interviewing Marsha Ambrosius and Raekwon (I work for MTV) and I see some folks I knew and they showed love but for the most part, a lot of the new “DMV” kids were on tall ass horses. ONLY when they found out I worked for a major media outlet did I get all types of pounds and greetings and I was shouting these young dummies out all night. Folks are thirsty for something in the DC area that has nothing to do with quality music and togetherness.

This DMV Awards fight isn’t that shocking but like I say on Twitter all the time…what is there to beef over in the DMV music scene? Who gets the most local showcases? Who does the most open mics? The most blog hits? We’re focused on all the wrong things and the scene is better together. Fast from the hog ya’ll, and GROW UP.

Peace,

Wise

19. iCan says:

well said heat. well said.

20. Sherlock says:

Excellent point of view hopefully adopted by the majority of DMV artists who haven’t carved the niche out of the market. I saw the first melee and walked thru the second one… I never let ignorance around me dissuade me from achieving my goals. I hope the rest of us choose the same philosophy because quite frankly, I know I can’t make it without y’all making it. We won’t be winners until we ALL are regarded as such…

21. DC from DC says:

I wish I could say that I paid more attention to what you wrote, but when I googled “DMV Awards fight”, I couldn’t ignore that the second article addressing it had the n-word as a part of its title. I know I’m not the only one who googled that combination of words- any person, of any culture, age, etc, can google your article and see and interpret your word usage as they please. If what you wanted was for people to click on the link, you’ve definitely accomplished that. I hear your anger, but I doubt most who see this article will get from it what you intended. I promise, with a different word choice, your message and your purpose wouldn’t be lost.

We’re the chocolate city. If anyone, from anywhere, wants to read about what went down at the DMV awards, that is one of the first titles they’ll see.

22. Concerned and Real says:

I am a DMV Native and I think that some people are just jealous about one another does. People should be happy for one another when ever a acheive something. When you have a bynch of young people who theink they are in command it never works out for them. People should have been there to have a good time and not start something thet could not finish. It is a shame that people have to act that way. But then you have to look at poeple have to defend themselves also. You are not going to let someone hit you with a bottle and say oh its ok. If you say you will you are telly a lie so dont even go there. I think that one side of this brawl was defending themselves because they did try to prevent the situation from happening. You cant go around thinking you are bad and just go hit somebody wuth a bottle or whatever and expect to get away with it sorry.

23. Sarah Keys says:

It saddens me, That this was a time of Celebration, and for it to be destroyed, is truly heart breaking, and completely disrespectful to everyone who contributed to this event, Everyone was there for the love of hip hop, and there craft. It is now time for the “DMV” to rise from this tragedy, and finally come together, The DMV has come too far to let people who don’t respect the industry, destroy what we have all worked so hard for… keep ur head up and let’s push on!

24. Diallo Kreed says:

The DMV music scene was already in a delicate, fragile state…and this happens! We want other areas like NY, ATL, MIA (and others) to recognize and respect us, but when we try earn the respect, stuff like this happens. Bottom line is, let’s not let the isolated acts of ignorance set us back too far. Let’s learn from this mistake and build off the positive idea. Same time next year, better results! #LEGGO

@DialloKreed

25. I understand and respect the whole argument eliminating the use of the “N” word and that there are other words that can be used to describe the people involved with the ignorance. However, the word “nigger” is necessary in this particular case because in the scope of everything that happened and WHERE it happened, that WAS the act of a bunch of “niggers”. As much as I am a person who feels race shouldn’t matter, the reality is that it DOES matter. When you have an event with over 1500 people and mainly Black people held in a hotel that is in a predominantly white neighborhood and probably has predominantly white patrons but you have a “Malice at the Palace” scenario break out, do you honestly believe that many of them are looking at the faces of these young Black males who already have negative connotations attached to them as just “thugs” or “vagabonds”? Forget being politically correct to describe a situation where people were being as politically incorrect as possible. Not to mention that it was done in a STATE (or commonwealth for those technical folks) where we have been historically viewed as “niggers”; being a “hoodlum” is an upgrade in many of “their” eyes.

26. DJ RICO says:

YO THIS IS A GOOD WRITE UP HEAT BUT THE BAD THING IS, WHENEVER THINGS LIKE THIS GOES DOWN ITS NOT THE ARTIST IN A LOT OF THE ISSUES BUT ITS OUR FRIENDS THAT DO IT ALL AND IT FALLS ON US, IN THE GO-GO’S ITS NOT THE BANDS THAT DO THE SHOOTING OR STABBING, ITS THE CREWS WHO BEEN BEEFING AROUND THE WAY AND THEN BRING IT TO THE VENUE AND MESS UP THE PARTY/EVENT FOR US WHO MAKE OUR MONEY THAT WAY AND THEN THEY GO HOME AND GO TO THEIR JOBS THE NEXT DAY, HOWEVER WE’RE LEFT WITH THE BARREL OF BS TO DEAL WITH FROM THE MEDIA STICK OF DRAMA FROM THE NIGHT BEFORE THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH US, ITS JUST SAD THAT WE CAN’T JUST GET THE MONEY THAT’S PRINTED UP EVERYDAY ALL DAY LONG, THAT EVERYONE CAN GET A PIECE OF, AND BE HAPPY!!! BUT THEN AGAIN, THAT’S THE REAL POSION OF ALL EVIL, C.R.E.A.M. MUCH LOVE TO YOU HEAT, I’M PROUD OF WHAT YOU TRY TO DO OUT HERE NOT JUST AS A DJ, BUT AS YOUR FRIEND!!! LOVE YOU!!! DIRTY RICO!!! THE NOISEMAKER!!!

27. Amber Christian says:

Its unfortunate that we had to experience this type of foolishness at a time where we were suppose to show our appreciation to those who work very hard to perfect their crafts. So much time, energy, and sweat was put into putting the awards show together and making it successful. to see it stepped on and treated like it was some makeshift show that can be replaced is very hurtful and embarrassing. Im still saddened to see innocent people get hurt; even more im sadden to see such young people make stupid decisions because they are trying to prove a ‘point’. I just hope this tragic deal will open everyones eyes and really work on building the DMV artistic scene. this uncalled for war should be at the very TOP of priorities IF there is ever another DMV awards show. i feel one thing what has to always be looked at is the reputations and images of some of these artists and not to show favoritism and let them bend rules so they can be free to do and act how they want. obviously these children had no business being part of a what we thought would be a civilized event.

28. Rupp Up says:

I just found out about this happening on DrudgeReport.

It’s gone big time. Unfortunately =(

29. SMHnHTOWN says:

If the event you are attending is civilized, why would you even need security? Far more people attend the Country Music Awards and I bet they don’t have half the security that a “black event” does. Nice article DJ….Good job of pointing out who the trouble makers are, but THEY still see us as one, which makes all of us look bad.

30. BBG says:

Ok. So you call them the nword. Now what? It is used by 90% of the “artist” God knows how many times to describe themselves so calling them what they enjoy calling one another does nothing. Almost. Accept to people like myself and others who are man enough or woman enought to denounce the term period. As someone stated if a white person were to write this or Rush Limbaugh there would be a fit over it. You can’t have it both ways. If you really are discussed with what happened and you consider them that nword then STOP CASUALLY USING THE WORD PERIOD!!!!

I hear what you are saying, but your actions will speak louder.
    If you keep coming out with songs referencing everyone as Nword, Bword, and hoes then no one outside of your circle will see it as sincere.

Take the lead. That RED PHONE just rang last night. What and how will you respond? Same as usual or jump on an opportunity to promote… you got it. CHANGE!!!!

I’m a musician and song writer and I’m an African-American man.
    Proud of it too. But I’m tired of the excuses for violence among my people. Stop brushing it off with cliche’s like it begins at home.

Last night the violence was not at home. It was at the awards.
    How many of you who were there have volunteered information you know to the police? If you don’t they win and you ain’t no better word then what you call them.

Stand up and be that man or woman you claim to be and do what needs to be done.

Peace!!!

31. BBG says:

SMHnHTOWN… the need for security does not always reflect on those that participate. To compare country with Rap and HipHop shows me you don’t understand a lot of things. Everytime our president, who ever it has been, has an event he has the most security. I guess you consider that uncivilized? Not every black sponsored event has a lot of security. That I can guarantee.
    This event itself must not have had but so much security otherwise the fighting would not have been widespread.

Let me say one more thing and I’m calling it a night.
    This is for everyone.

STOP FOOLING YOURSELVES!!!! It might not be YOU or the Artist involved in the violence, but again it just goes to show you people will carry out some of the violence that IS SPOKEN by Artist. You can’t go around sounding and looking like a thug and NOT expect thugs to follow and multiply.

Again, you have an opportunity to make a change and stand above the “fools” who started this mess. You can keep doing the same old thing and expecting something different or you can make a change with what you produce.

I know… I know… “it is not your fault”, but as long as we keep saying this and this keeps happening it losses its base.

If you are the Artist you claim to be then don’t allow nword, bword, and cursing be your main focus. Quite frankly it doesn’t take too much talent or artistry to curse every 3-4 words.

32. Wholetime my nigga Bobkat was da 1st ever De-U solo rapper & he JUST dis week got out of jail from doing 5-10…dat street shit ain’t cool AT ALL!!! Get’s niggaz no where!!! *Jay-Z voice* “smart’n up & open da market up!!!”

- Mr. 40. Watt -

DeUceDouble.blogspot.com

33. Ardamus says:

I have to say it was my first time being there, it was cool without all of the fighting and etc. People were chill just enjoying the festivities from what I could see. But once bad vibes were in the air, a lot of people decided to get crazy and ruin something that could’ve been a better moment for all of us in the scene. With that said, now we have to make sure we have solutions in place to prevent events like this from happening when we are gathered to honor other peers for their hard work.

34. Tricky says:

When will someone say something about the ‘niggers’? When will some of these dumb @ss lyrics be discussed? is it really necessary to curse throughout a whole verse? When will expanding your vocabulary be discussed? When do we talk about how as much as folks cry ‘White man this white man that’ we’re aour biggest enemy? When do we talk about we have done more to ourselves than the Klan ever could do? When does someone suggest education and respect? Why does everybody have to be a rapper? When will these youngins get their ish together? We can we talk about that??!!!
    Sorry, but it seems like those who ignore all this are also a big part of the problem!!! A generation LOST!!!!!!!!
    Ignorance breeds ignorance……..

35. Tricky says:

BBG – most articulate post thus far!!
    Stay focused…..

36. Thanks DJ Heat. You are the best!
    Much love,
    Diamond
    Kyonte’
    Angela
    Rashad
    Hil

37. HEY HEAT, THAT WAS RIGHT ON POINT WHAT YOU SAID ARTIST REALLY NEED
    TO TAKE TIME TO LEARN THE BUSINESS SIDE OF THIS. IT’S PEOPLE LIKE YOUR SELF AND OTHERS WHO PUT ALOT OF WORK IN TO HELPING INDIE ARTIST OUT AND THIS IS THE LOVE WE GET BACK? I REALLY HOPE WE CAN GET OVER THIS BAD SET BACK. THIS EVENT SET US BACK 5YEARS IN THE MAKING WE NEED TO COME TOGETHER AND WORK AS A UNIT AND STOP THIS BS. WE REALLY NEED WORK SHOPS FOR ARTIST, THE HELL WITH OPEN MICS THEY NEED TO LEARN WHAT A REAL ARTIST NEED TO DO & HOW TO CARRY THEM SELF.(BOTTOM LINE HEAT ) UNTIL THEY LEARN THAT DC WILL NEVER MOVE FORWARD AND BE LOOKED AT AS A HIP HOP CAPITAL. KASH MONEE/ CEO of DA BEAT1650AM

LETS ALL BE ONE UNIT.. GOD BLESS

38. Carl Mayo | 2ThreeVII Worldwide says:

Everyone is quick to speak upon the acts of those that were fighting. And like DJ Heat stated, they were not artists. Even if they recorded a few songs here and there, they are still not artists. If we are going to call ourselves pioneers, innovators and even spokespersons for the DMV Movement, then we must first cherish and value what we have and not let “niggers” keep the negative stereotypes alive.

WE MUST PROMOTE AND GIVE EXPOSURE TO ARTISTS THAT HAVE THE BEST CHANCE OF MAKING IT NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL. We tend to think that support is “putting any and everybody on”. And that’s what we do at our open mics, showcases and at the awards show. We allowed any and everybody to attend & any and everybody f*cked it up. Any and everybody doesn’t sacrifice every dollar they have to record an album, any and everybody doesn’t attend colleges and major in music and production degrees, any and everybody doesn’t learn business ethics and good judgement.

I speak to so many artists that have no idea what performance, mechanical and synchronize royalties are, what parallel 1 radio stations are, what publishing companies do or even what the difference between a manager and PR is. But those are the artists that we categorized as “THE HOTTEST TALENT IN THE DMV”.

And I understand that people want to make some money, I knock no ones hustle but if we continue to promote open mics/showcases that says “THE HOTTEST TALENT IN THE DMV” and then promoters charge $5-$50 to perform, you know who you’re going to attract to perform?…”ANY AND EVERYBODY”. Then the entire room is filled with performers and their crew and no TRUE POTENTIAL FANS.

The money will come later, we must earn the credibility and the respect of having quality artists in any genre first in our own city. There is not ONE INDEPENDENT ARTIST that can walk into any high school in the DMV and cause pandamonium. The honest truth is that everybody that touches a mic is not going to make it in the industry. But if we find those rare gems and uplift them, cherish them and support them we can have a chance.

To sum it up, we have to learn to say NO!!!!! And create a criteria when showcasing and honoring “THE HOTTEST TALENT IN THE DMV” and not just “ANY AND EVERYBODY”.

Carl Mayo – Manager/Producer
    2ThreeVII Worldwide

39. LPspinner says:

Your point would have had more positive impact without use of the N-word. What if most of the news media had used the same head line title as this article to express what happened at the DMV awards?
    I’m just saying your point could have been better said without using
    the N-word. Bless.

40. Dj5starr says:

I was hurt to hear about the actions.. i couldn’t understand it ..but i agree with Miss Dj Heat.. please don’t let a few bad apples spoil the bunch…. Much love to the whole DMV music scene. Positivity can and will out way the negative

41. IT ALL SUMS UP TO…”WATCHING THE COMPANY YOU KEEP”

42. Carl Mayo says:

Oh and that 13 year old female rapper is my new artist “KIDD”. I’m definitely bringing her to the town meeting this Sunday. She needs to know all of you and understand that those acts are not what the DMV music scene is about.

Carl Mayo – Manager/Producer
    2ThreeVII Worldwide

43. Your usage of “nigger” is as appropriate as you deem it to be. I’m not sure how that became bigger than your point about what a real artist is and how a real artist acts.

Had I not been on a plane, I would have been at the awards. Considering the changes that Dre and his staff institued to avoid the drama from last year, I really hoped this year’s event would be a stepping stone to something greater. I guess that can still be realized, but taking something to the next level is never easier when you’re basically starting from scratch.

Heat -and everyone else trying to push things to the next level in a positive way- keep up the good work. #Salute

44. thatruth says:

You’re an uncle tom for this smh, saying this is the work of “n’s” you sound just as bad as the slave masters. There are definetely better ways you could have put this. You’re ignorant for this one.

45. Fonte says:

As part of the process of making things right, I think the community needs to step up and try to do something to help find some justice for the hotel worker who lost an eye during the brawls. The suspect is at the end of this video:

Dre All Day should post this video to the DMWAwards website. If we step up and i.d. the woman who caused this man to lose his eye, it might go along way to giving folks outside the community a better view of us.